Monday 12 August 2013

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far
Author: Jennifer Echols
Pages: 245
Publication Date: March 17, 2009
Publisher: Pocket Books/MTV Books

  




HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO?

All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.

John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....

I wanted to try out one of Jennifer Echol's novels since I've read numerous reviews on one of her popular books, Going Too Far. To be honest, I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Contemporary books are usually a hit or miss for me, reason why being is because most contemporaries that I've come across turn out to be a fluffy read. There's nothing wrong with books that are light and fluffy, but their storyline sometimes happen to be boring.

Going Too Far isn't fluffy nor is it a light and easy read. It actually happens to be emotional and touching. Our protagonist, Meg is a rebellious chick - what you call a "bad girl." She smokes, drinks and plays around. She meets Officer After when she gets arrested by the man himself by trespassing on a railroad bridge. What I love about Meg is how she reads people, assuming what their life is like. She assumes Officer After is a married forty year-old man with ten children. Her guess was totally off because he was only a nineteen year-old police officer. Though it does seem hard to believe that he looked forty and had ten children, I couldn’t stop myself from laughing when Meg asked him about his “kids.”

Meg and Officer After (John) was a couple I didn't think would click. But after reading this book, I could sense the chemistry between them. I loved their dialogue - hilarious and unforgettable. Meg and John may seem like normal characters but deep down, they're both hiding their own secrets.

Going Too Far is now added to my "must buy" books. With its complex characters and humorous dialogue, Going Too Far is one you cannot miss. 

5/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment