Tuesday 5 November 2013

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)
Author: Kelly Creagh
Pages: 429
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Atheneum Books


 Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dream world -- a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen's creation, is the only one who can save him.
 

Isobel knows that her only hope lies within a Baltimore cemetery. There, in the early morning hours of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday, a mysterious stranger known as the "Poe Toaster" will make his annual homage at the legendary poet's grave.
 

Only the Poe Tosater holds the key to the way between worlds. But even greater dangers lie ahead for Isobel. An ancient evil, draped in veils of white, is watching, challenging her for Varen's affections. When Isobel finally finds Varen, he is no longer the quiet and brooding boy who once captivated her, but a dark force, powerful and malevolent.

As much as I enjoyed the first book, Enshadowed fell flat to me. I really don't want to say this, but this book suffered the "middle book" syndrome. Filled with descriptive and well-written scenes, there was nothing pushing the plot forward. It starts to pick once you reach the last quarter of the book. If it wasn't for Kelly's writing, I would have probably never reached the 75% mark.

Ever since Isobel left Varen in the dreamworld, she hasn't been the same since. Her parents think she needs help. But what Isobel really wants is to save Varen from the world that he has created. Isobel convinces her parents to bring her to Baltimore where a mysterious stranger (The Poe Toaster) makes an appearance at Poe's graveyard. She believes that the mysterious stranger is the only link between the two worlds.

If you thought Nevermore's ending was a cliff-hanger, you're in for a disappointment because Enshadowed leaves you at a bigger cliff-hanger. Especially with it being in Varen's POV. You literally get the feels. Though this book was a bit boring at some parts, Varen's POV made up for it. That epilogue tore my heart into two. I read that epilogue five times because I couldn't believe what was happening to Varen! Usually I would feel so emotionally invested to characters written in first person, but Varen's point of view made me feel twice amount of heartache I felt for any first person book. It crushes me my heart, knowing that I have to wait until August 2014 to read the final installment.

Enshadowed wasn't impressive as Nevermore, but that will not stop me from pre-ordering the next book. August 2014, please come quickly!

3/5 STARS




No comments:

Post a Comment