Friday 7 February 2014

Mini Reviews: Prodigy & Champion by Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 371
Publication Date: January 27, 2013
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Rating: 4/5 stars

Being slightly disappointed by Legend, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue on with the series. The obvious plot twist in the previous book left me unsure whether if it was worth my time reading it, but since my library had both the second and third available, I decided why the heck not. When I finished the Legend, I didn't realize what the hype was all about. I had the story figured out from the start of the novel, but with Prodigy, I was in for a surprise. Lu progresses with her writing of the Republic and Colonies that I've become utterly amazed with her world building. And let's not forget the outstanding couple, Day and June. My, oh my, I've grown to love them. I agree with those who say that what happened between Day and June was slightly insta-love, but these two have so much troubles and sadness behind their faces that doesn't even matter how they met.  

Prodigy managed to convince me that this series was worth continuing. Heart-pounding action and well-written characters, I think it's time you've started this series. 




Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 369
Publication Date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: Putname Juvenile
Rating: 4/5 star


You know, I'm really glad that I've waited for Champion to come out before I started Prodigy. The way it ended in the previous book, I don't think I would've been able to wait that long. If there was one thing I want to talk about, it would have to be the ending. I've had my fair share of reading dystopian series - Divergent, Delirium, The Hunger Games - but none of them ended the way I would have liked. Out of the three, I hated Divergent's ending the most. I still can't believe I read over five hundred pages of complete nonsense. I didn't have a pleasant start with the series, but still, this series is so not worth the hype. However with Champion, I can finally announce that this is by far, the best dystopian series I've ever read. Yeah, Legend wasn't my favourite, but Lu builds each book with depth and thrill that it's definitely worth investing your time into.

The ending to this novel was utterly heartbreaking. I mean, I just can't explain how much sadness and happiness I felt when I read the epilogue. So much hope for the both of them. I'm just completely amazed by the way she ended off the series that I'm for sure going to purchase the box set.  

I'm just out of words right now that I can't even think of something bold to say. 

2 comments:

  1. I read and really enjoyed Legend and then I read Prodigy the day it came out and I was wowed! The ending was fantastic! And then I had to wait forever for Champion. So when it came out I bought the boxed set and I still have yet to pick up Champion probably because I'm so scared about how it's going to end.
    Great mini reviews! I'm really going to have to just read Champion now! The fact that you think it was fantastic compared to all the other last books has really restored my confidence! :-)
    Nice job!
    Cal @ Read Books and Live Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD READ CHAMPION. ASDFJDJG. It's so good! Definitely the best out of the three!

      Delete